Thoughts From The Thinking Hill

This Pilgrim's Journey


Praying Hands2

Walking down the short hallway to the recovery room at MDAnderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, I could see my daughter, Kristie, very visibly shaken and crying beside our grandson, Korbin’s bed.  I don’t know if it would have been possible for her to be anymore distraught.  When we stepped into the room she  said “It’s his eyes!  They aren’t working right.  They dart back and forth when he tries to open them.”  I tried to reassure her that it would clear up when he came out of the heavy anesthesia they had administered to perform the surgery on his brain.  “No” she cried, “the Doctor said he didn’t know why they were doing that.  It could be permanent or it may clear up after awhile.”  She then called my grandson’s name loudly trying to wake him from the deep sleep they induced to perform the surgery.  “Korbin, Korbin, open your eyes!” His eyelids slowly raised a little but his pupils were sunk deep in their sockets.  Fifteen years earlier when he lay in an infant warmer, the day he was born, I had looked into those same eyes.  I don’t know what infants can see but those eyes locked on mine and I felt like they were downloading all of my DNA and inner being.  No one had ever made me feel like they knew my inner self until that day his eyes locked on mine and my life has never been the same since.

Our home church had been so kind to our family and had flown our Pastor and his wife, Pastor Kevin and Kendra Akins, to Houston, Texas to be with Korbin and our family during this surgery.  They were waiting with the rest of the family not a hundred feet away in the waiting room.  My mind began to race and I thought “We are not settling for this, I’m going to get Kevin and Kendra to come in and pray that God will give us a miracle.”  I remember taking a step back and then I heard my daughter call out loudly “WE NEED HELP IN HERE!”  I realized that Kristie’s husband David had grabbed me and was trying to hold me up.  It was a small recovery room but I estimate from the sound of the voices there must have been 15-20 people that rushed into the room.  My wife says she called my name and I turned to look at her.  My face was drawn to one side and she saw a look that was telling her “Goodbye”.  Instantly I broke out in a cold sweat.  They gently lowered me to the floor and the medical staff jerked off my wet, outer shirt and began taking vital signs.  They became very agitated being unable to find a pulse and one of the nurses with the defibalator had the paddles in hand and at ready.  Just before they administered a shock to my heart someone called out “I have a faint pulse!”  A gurney was rushed into the room and together they lifted me on it and rushed me down the hall. Hurrying along, they continued to monitor my situation and quickly rushed me into an elevator.  The doors shut but the workers never stopped. Checking and rechecking my vitals they started with their list of twenty questions.  “What is your name? Do you know where you are? Do you know what year this is? etc., etc.”  I became acutely aware my daughter had followed us into the elevator.  I tried to get her to go back to be with Korbin but she knew he was being tended to by the medical team in ICU and she was intent on staying with me.  A cloud of guilt and remorse settled over me like a heavy blanket, for all of the trouble I was creating for our family  in an already extremely difficult situation.

I was rushed to the bottom of MD Anderson hospital to the emergency room. Once the elevator doors opened they rushed me into a small room and closed the doors.  I never opened my eyes during all of this time.  The team of staff seemed to have swelled to 20 or 30 voices now.  My clothes were soaking wet and they stripped off my wet undershirt, still taking my vitals.  Everyone was talking at the same time and I was wondering “Who’s listening?”  The staccato of their voices all sounded like a flock of black birds.  All of a sudden they all stopped, turned and walked out of the room together.  Kendra had brought my wife down in a wheel chair and had pushed her up  beside the gurney, turned and walked out with all of the medical team.  This was one of those surreal moments when I seemed to be an observer instead of a participant.   I wasn’t worried about dying but as I lay there realizing they were all leaving at once, I thought how strange they would all stop what they were doing, leave without hooking me up to some monitor or leaving someone to monitor my condition?  One minute they are frantically trying to keep me alive and the next minute they all walk out of the room.  No monitor and no one left behind to watch me!

Once the doors closed the room changed from all of those voices talking at once to just deathly quiet.  I mean really, really quiet!   My wife was on my right and we clasped our right hands together and were both praying quietly.  I was praying for Korbin and her heart was broken but I knew she was praying.  On this eventful day, forty-nine years earlier we had our first date and have been walking lock-step on the same path ever since.  To her, it seemed our world was caving in.  A husband that appeared to be slipping out of this world in the ER and a grandson upstairs in ICU trying to  come back to us from brain surgery brought on by an inoperable brain tumor that had been causing complications in his brain.  How many ways can a heart be torn at once?

That very brief quiet moment was quickly interrupted.  What was this?  The door opened again and for the first time since they had laid me on the floor in Korbin’s room, I opened my eyes ever so little to see a tall, black man in blue scrubs come striding in.  I closed my eyes again.  He walked straight to my gurney, leaned over and placed his large black hands over ours and said,  “Now, we are going to pray!”  He didn’t ask if he might pray for us or even if we were  believers.  He just said “Now, we are going to pray!” Then he began to pray! He prayed  for me, for my wife, Jean, for our situation of why we were at MD Anderson…. and he prayed….. and how he prayed!  It was not a short prayer and this was not the first time this man had prayed.  You could tell from the flow of the words from his heart that praying was as natural with him as breathing.  There was no stammering or struggle to find words for his petitions.  They flowed as freely as the waters of an artisan spring.  I did not know this man but I  am confident that this man was well known around the throne of God.

Once he had finished praying he turned and left the room, shutting the door behind him.  For a very brief moment the quiet started to settle over the room but only for a very brief moment.  The door swung open again and in came the 15-20 medical people all chattering and calling out orders at one time, just as if they had never left the room.  For a few minutes it was as if we were in the eye of the storm and God’s messenger stepped into our presence to minister to us and confirm that we were not alone!

There were medical personel that were concerned that I was dying just a few seconds before, but as one man they had turned and walked out of the room closing the door behind them.  From the time this messenger of God stepped into my room and until he left and shut the door behind him, that door never opened!  I don’t know where everyone went or what they were doing to have all left at once but no one touched that door handle or interrupted us while this brother was praying for me.

I later asked Kendra why everyone left and why she left the room.  She said “I don’t really know.  Everyone walked out at once and I walked out with them”.  I asked her if she saw this man come into the room.  She replied, “Yes, he walked into the your room with authority  and closed the door with authority.  I thought he was going to perform some type of exam”.   All the time I remained in this hospital we never saw this brother again.  Who he was and where he came from I will never know in this life time but I am confident of Who sent him.  Like the prophet Elijah, dwelling by the brook Cherith, in a weary land and in a desperate  time where God by His Grace,  commanded ravens to seek him out and minister bread and meat to him on a daily basis, God sent this dear brother to my bedside to pray for me.  How awesome to be so in tune with God’s voice and walk in His presence that one could be picked to minister to a brother or sister in Christ after this fashion.

Many have told me this was an angel and I do believe that we are sometimes visited by angels unawares but I am convinced that this was a beloved brother in Christ fulfilling the bidding of His Lord that day.  This brother’s prayers were filled with themes the angels can only “desire to look into”.   This brother had experiential knowledge in the ways and walk in Christ and was no stranger in Heaven’s courts.

I was later transferred to St. Luke’s hospital and through my time at both hospitals I had two EKG’s, two complete blood work-ups, an ultra-sound of my heart, a CAT scan, an MRI and an MRV, and saw eight Doctors.  The last Doctor reported that all my tests came back good, they could find nothing wrong with me and dismissed me with a  clean bill of health.

Later that day, after I had returned to my motel room and retrieved my iPhone, I went to the Facebook site “Pray for Korbin” that was set up by my daughter for Korbin’s encouragement and support.  I saw that within seconds of me collapsing in the hospital that she had posted my condition and that they were not able to find a pulse.  Within moments people were praying for me everywhere, friends, family and total strangers from all over the United States that were following Korbin’s journey.  Many of these I have been able to thank personally for their prayers and some I am thanking here and now.  I am so thankful for the family of God that knows distance and location are not barriers to our prayers.  To all of you that have prayed for me and my family I say,  “THANK YOU”.

We are still on this journey with Korbin and I ask your continued prayers for his recovery. The events as told above are one of those “God moments” that have doted my journey through this life.  When they happen, it is like I am an observer watching the wondrous workings of God’s hand!  These are awesome moments and very personal to me. I send this story forth today to reaffirm to you the reader, that if you are “in Him”, you can live today “Casting all your care on Him; for He cares for you”!  And if you are not “in Him” please seek His face to know Him and His Grace for “In Him we live, ….and move,….. and have our being”.

That’s how I see it on this Pilgrimage to that Continuing City!

Single Post Navigation

2 thoughts on “HE SAID “NOW, WE ARE GOING TO PRAY”!!!

  1. Richie McConnell on said:

    I love u and u family and I just sat here and cried my eyes out an I have been told this story befor by Kelly and still gave me goose bumps and we pray ever night for u and korbin and the rest of the family love y’all
    The McConnell

  2. Jordan Humphrey on said:

    This literally brought tears to my eyes because I remember that day, so well. I wasn’t there, but I remember seeing the posts. I was SO scared that Korbin was gonna lose his grandfather, the one who started him in baseball and helped him become the amazing baseball player he is now. I can’t wait to be able to watch his games, but I know he wouldn’t be able to do it without you. He is an amazing, very inspirational, sweet, beautiful person and he means the world to me. The things that people do for him in the small town of Elk City, Oklahoma, is absolutely incredible. I have never seem so much love, prayer, and togetherness In one community. I made a promise to Korbin when we first began dating that, no matter what happened on this journey, I would never leave his side. No matter what happened, I would never forget the legacy he is leaving behind. I don’t know what I would do without this amazing guy. We have been dating for almost 6 months now and I’ve been by his side since the beginning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: